Monday, October 24, 2011

Another Rose Printed Dress~

Over the past few weeks, I've been hard at work on this gorgeous dress commission. This lovely rose-printed fabric is super hard to find, so my client and I got to scavenger hunt across the web for a week or so in order to find it. But it was definitely worth it!
In addition to making her the dress, I also made one of my newest additions to my shop, the simple double ruffled skirt. However, this time there was on more step involved before I got to sewing: dyeing. In college, this was actually my favorite class, and I'm so happy I get to incorporate this into Elegy. For the solid colors in most of my clothing, I use a really nice, super soft cotton that has a slightly shiny finish to it. I think it makes my clothing look richer and more elegant, not to mention it feels just lovely against the skin. Unfortunately, it's only available in limited colors, so I got the pleasure of dyeing it light pink!

^^ It's always a good idea to do a test swatch, before committing to dyeing 5 yards of fabric.

^^ The finished yardage. This actually started out cream - there wasn't enough white at the fabric store - and I'm quite happy with the results!

^^ The aforementioned double ruffled simple skirt, finished. It can be found in my shop HERE. And onto the dress:

^^ The initial sketch. I admit, it's a bit hard to see all the details here /:

^^ I got straight to work on the skirt part first, being the most simple part of the dress.

^^A detail of the 6" wide ruffle, finished with 1" wide satin ribbon and 1/2" venice lace.

^^A peek at the bodice, and lining. (You can sorta see my new tag!)

^^Working on the bib. This was definitely the most challenging part of the dress, hands down. The bib had to have functional buttons, while the lower part of the bodice did not. I definitely spent the most work on drafting this pattern and figuring out how to put it all together.

^^The bib is in! The pin tucks are sort of doing whatever they please at the moment, because I haven't yet basted them down. The back has also been sewn on.

^^Almost finished! This is probably now my favorite collar ever. It's mega simple, and totally lovely. It's a double collar, with the lower one being laced, and they're both ruffled and stay closed with a 1" wide satin ribbon.
^^Alas, it's finished! This is just so dolly I could drool. The sleeve has been set - a simple long sleeve with a slight puff at the wrist, single button closure, and 2.5" wide ruffles, trimmed in lace. 

^^Check out that collar profile! Yum~

^^Extra long waist ties! (I actually went back and shortened these a bit, so as to not show from the front and appear sloppy.)

^^I know it seems I say this after every commission, but I think this may just be my greatest work ♡

^^Back detail :3

^^Sleeve detail~

 And that's it! I'm sure it'll look just lovely with the bonnet I made out of this material a few weeks ago~

Lately I've noticed that I only blog about once a week now. I wish it could be more! But I've just been so unbelievably busy these past several weeks, that I haven't really had time to (or update the Facebook page for that matter). I have a lot of things I'm working on, but I'm not complaining! I'm extremely grateful and incredibly thankful for all the attention and business I've been getting recently (especially after not getting a table at Ohayocon).

I also have another update/super good news concerning my plushies! It's still tentative at the moment, but I can't wait to share once it's final!~

Miss Chubi

No comments:

Post a Comment